Autism – correctly referred to as the Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD) –is an extremely complex disorder that affects behavior, communication, interests, and social interaction in both children and adults. To give an autistic individual the best chances of living a normal and healthy life, it is imperative that this disorder is diagnosed as early as possible through autism testing. Many local medical and administrative professionals in Birmingham, MI turn to Dr. Kat Lewitzke’s expertise in autism testing to accurately diagnose any existing suspicions. She’s a fully licensed doctoral level psychologist trained in the most up to date testing methodology and treatments.
Common Signs That May Require Autism Testing
The onset and severity of the early signs of ASD vary widely. Some children may display mild symptoms while others have severe behavioral problems. Also, some infants may show hints during their first months while others may exhibit symptoms at the age of three.
Moreover, some kids may display a few signs of autism yet they may not have the condition. This is why a professional evaluation is so critical. During infancy, children are typically very interested in what is going on around them. Children with autism, however, are usually not interested and have difficulties interacting with their environment.
The following are signs that your child might have ASD
- By six months: Does not smile often or display warm expressions.
- By nine months: Does not share back sounds, smiles, or expressions.
- By 12 months: No ‘baby talk’ and does not respond to name. Does not point, show, or wave.
- By 16 months: Few to no words.
- By 24 months: Vocabulary limited to a few repeated two-word phrases.
At any Age
- Delayed language development
- Preference for solitude
- Restricted interests
- Persistent repetition of words and phrases
- Repetitive behaviors
- Resisting minor changes in their environment
- Avoiding eye contact
Importance of Early Autism Diagnosis
Diagnosing early is essential because, without it, the individual will lose time for necessary treatment. This might result in social isolation, difficult behavior, and a person that does not attain their best in school and life. A diagnosis is vital as it helps the individual understand themselves better and know that they are not alone in how they feel. Moreover, a diagnosis will alleviate distress from the child’s life to prevent further issues from developing.
Moreover, their parents and teachers will learn how to best work with them. This ensures that they implement the appropriate support structure to facilitate a normal and healthy lifestyle for the individual.
Autism does not have a cure. However, there are a variety of interventions that are incredibly helpful. They include:
- Occupational Therapy
This involves activities that help the child get better at everyday tasks. From learning how to tie their shoes properly to school-related activities.
- Speech Therapy
This enhances the child’s verbal and non-verbal skills.
- Behavioral Therapy
This is used to reinforce positive behaviors while teaching new skills.
- Social Skills Class
This is used to help the child learn how to interact socially and form bonds with others.
The type of therapy used will depend on the individual’s needs. Diagnosing autism early will make a huge difference in the life of the individual.
Looking for autism testing in Birmingham, MI? Dr. Kat Lewitzke is a doctoral level psychologist who received her specialized training through other board-certified neuropsychologists. She has immense experience and success in helping individuals with developmental disorders. Many local professionals recommend Dr.Kat for providing autism testing services and treatment recommendations.
- Autism Testing in Genesee County, MI
- Autism Testing Near Keego Harbor, MI
- Autism Testing in Grand Blanc, MI
- Autism Testing in Auburn Hills, Michigan
- Autism Testing in Highland, MI
- Autism Testing in Huntington Woods, MI
- Autism Testing in White Lake, MI
- Autism Testing in Rochester Hills, MI
- Autism Testing near Bloomfield Hills, MI
- Autism Testing in Lake Orion, MI
- Autism Testing in Commerce Twp, MI
- Autism Testing in Wayne County, MI
- Autism Testing in Troy, MI
- Autism Testing in Wixom, MI
- Autism Testing in Clarkston, MI
- Autism Testing in Macomb County, MI
- Autism Testing in Oakland County, MI
- Autism Testing in Ferndale, MI
- Autism Testing In Holly, MI
- Autism Testing Near Royal Oak, MI
- Autism Testing in Waterford, MI
- Autism Testing In Ortonville, MI
- Autism Testing in Novi, MI
- Autism Testing in Beverly Hills, MI
- Autism Testing in Oxford, MI
- Autism Testing in Bingham Farms, MI
- Autism Testing in Berkley, MI
- Autism Testing in Clawson, MI
- Autism Testing in Madison Heights, MI
- Autism Testing in Oak Park, MI
- Autism Testing in Franklin, MI
- Autism Testing in Davisburg, MI
- Autism Testing in Pleasant Ridge, MI
- Autism Testing in Farmington Hills, MI
- Autism Testing near Pontiac, MI