Accurate and early diagnosis of autism is the most important thing for a child who's suspected of having autism. An early detection plays a major role in alleviating the complications in an autistic child’s life. However, it’s not always easy to make a diagnosis, considering the fact there’s no lab test for it so doctors have to primarily rely on trained diagnostic observations and the concerns of respective parents. As parents, our first and foremost responsibility is to be open to the idea of undergoing crucial autism testing for their suspected child, provided an unusual developmental pattern is observed.
The autism spectrum disorder has a wide range of symptoms. Some autistic children can suffer from severe mental disabilities, while others can be highly intelligent with the potential to live independently. An autism specialist will best determine where your child falls on the spectrum and the best treatment options available.
How To Know If You Need Autism Testing in Oakland County
An autism diagnosis is a two-stage process, which starts with your doctor. If the physician is trained to spot symptoms, children can be referred to a psychologist to receive an assessment during their early ages of between 18 to 24 months.
What you should expect from your child’s pediatrician is the keen observation of him/her talking to your child and asking questions about your child’s development and behavior. The doctor would typically try to gain insight into the following areas:
Development of certain behaviors by 6 months, i.e., has your baby started to smile?
By the age of 9 months, has he/she begun mimicking sounds and facial expressions?
By the age of 12 months, has the baby made babbling and cooing sounds?
He/she may also ask the following questions:
- Does the child show repetitive or unusual behavior?
- Does he/she have trouble making eye contact?
There are many signs to look out for that may indicate an autism disorder. If your child does not seek to mix with other children his own age or often play independently this may be an indication that he/she struggles to share and express themselves with regards to peers.
A parent’s observation is very important in the screening of their child. The degree of accuracy in answering questions from a trained psychologist will aid in determining the correct diagnosis of the child.
The most important stage of the diagnostic process is visiting an Oakland County, MI team of ASD specialists that may include a child psychologist, pathologist for speech/language, and an occupational therapist. The team is responsible for evaluating your child’s cognitive level and language abilities. They also evaluate basic skills like eating, dressing, going to the bathroom.
Dr. Kat Lewitzke PsyD specializes in autistic testing for parents who seek answers and betterment for their children. With professional staff at Bright Pine Behavioral Health, parents can feel free to share their thought and concerns as they navigate through the process.
- Autism Testing in Genesee County, MI
- Autism Testing Near Keego Harbor, MI
- Autism Testing in Grand Blanc, MI
- Autism Testing in Auburn Hills, Michigan
- Autism Testing in Highland, MI
- Autism Testing in Huntington Woods, MI
- Autism Testing in White Lake, MI
- Autism Testing in Rochester Hills, MI
- Autism Testing near Bloomfield Hills, MI
- Autism Testing in Lake Orion, MI
- Autism Testing in Commerce Twp, MI
- Autism Testing in Wayne County, MI
- Autism Testing in Troy, MI
- Autism Testing in Wixom, MI
- Autism Testing in Clarkston, MI
- Autism Testing in Macomb County, MI
- Autism Testing in Ferndale, MI
- Autism Testing In Holly, MI
- Autism Testing Near Royal Oak, MI
- Autism Testing in Waterford, MI
- Autism Testing in Birmingham, MI
- Autism Testing In Ortonville, MI
- Autism Testing in Novi, MI
- Autism Testing in Beverly Hills, MI
- Autism Testing in Oxford, MI
- Autism Testing in Bingham Farms, MI
- Autism Testing in Berkley, MI
- Autism Testing in Clawson, MI
- Autism Testing in Madison Heights, MI
- Autism Testing in Oak Park, MI
- Autism Testing in Franklin, MI
- Autism Testing in Davisburg, MI
- Autism Testing in Pleasant Ridge, MI
- Autism Testing in Farmington Hills, MI
- Autism Testing near Pontiac, MI