Developmental issues exhibiting autism can manifest in children at a very young age. Therefore, it is essential to have autism testing done for your child as early as possible. Early diagnosis in Highland, MI and surrounding cities allows for proper help and support for your child from an early stage.
Read on to find out why your child needs this testing and how Dr. Lewitzke PsyD, our clinic director is trained to provide accurate diagnosis.
Why You Should Get Autism Testing Done Early
Knowing the signs and symptoms of autism will help you determine whether your child needs autism testing. The signs and symptoms of the disorder are classified into four main categories.
Almost all individuals in the spectrum have problems with non-verbal communication. They have issues interpreting social cues and interacting with others. These problems manifest as early as the age of 10 months. They may include:
- Disinterest in playing, talking and sharing with others
- Preferring to be alone
- Avoiding and refusing physical contact
- Refusing comfort when upset
- Not responding to their name at the age of 12 months and older
- Lack of understanding their own emotions and those of others
More than 40% of children with autism are non-verbal. Another 30% will develop some communication and language skills only to lose them later. However, with the right intervention some children with autism may gain verbal communication later in life.
The communication problems of children with autism include:
- Delayed development of speech
- Repeating a word or phrase over and over (echolalia)
- Robotic, flat, or singsong speaking voice
- Interchanging pronoun use (using ‘you’ in the place of ‘I’)
- Inability to recognize jokes and sarcasm
- Not staying on topic when answering questions
- Not using and not responding to common gestures such as waving and pointing
Restricted and repetitive behaviors and patterns
Individuals with autism have limited, often repetitive patterns, behaviors, and interests. These could include:
- Repeated body movements such as running back and forth, rocking, and flapping
- A fixation on a specific object or activity
- Ritualistic behavior such as lining objects in a particular order
- Resistance to change of routine
- Extreme interest or disinterest in particular topics
- Staring at lights and moving objects
- Fussy eating habits
- Disinterest in role-playing and make-believe
People with autism have sensory issues. They can either be over sensitive or under sensitive to light, touch, tastes, pain, and sound.
Where To Get Accurate Autism Testing.
Autism testing in Highland, MI can often be difficult as there is nothing as simple as a blood test to diagnose the disorder. Therefore, health professionals must be properly trained in up-to-date psychological assessment methods to properly analyze each different case.
Parents should consider a diagnosis as soon as they have any suspicion. If the child is too young, then an appointment can be made to accommodate for a future period.
Autism diagnosis is a two-step procedure.
- Developmental screening: This is the first stage of testing. It helps doctors determine if your child has developmental delays related to autism. The screening is done during a visit to a trained pediatrician at the ages of 9, 18, and 24 months.
- Comprehensive diagnostic evaluation: a thorough assessment of the child’s behavior and development is needed if the doctor notices development issues. In most cases, the child's physician will refer you to a trained child psychologist who specializes in accurate autism testing.
Early diagnosis of autism of autism makes a huge difference in the lives of children diagnosed with the disorder and their families. So, if you notice any signs and symptoms of autism in your child, don't wait, call Dr. Kat Lewitzke to have an open conversation for your next steps.
- Autism Testing in Genesee County, MI
- Autism Testing Near Keego Harbor, MI
- Autism Testing in Grand Blanc, MI
- Autism Testing in Auburn Hills, Michigan
- Autism Testing in Huntington Woods, MI
- Autism Testing in White Lake, MI
- Autism Testing in Rochester Hills, MI
- Autism Testing near Bloomfield Hills, MI
- Autism Testing in Lake Orion, MI
- Autism Testing in Commerce Twp, MI
- Autism Testing in Wayne County, MI
- Autism Testing in Troy, MI
- Autism Testing in Wixom, MI
- Autism Testing in Clarkston, MI
- Autism Testing in Macomb County, MI
- Autism Testing in Oakland County, MI
- Autism Testing in Ferndale, MI
- Autism Testing In Holly, MI
- Autism Testing Near Royal Oak, MI
- Autism Testing in Waterford, MI
- Autism Testing in Birmingham, MI
- Autism Testing In Ortonville, MI
- Autism Testing in Novi, MI
- Autism Testing in Beverly Hills, MI
- Autism Testing in Oxford, MI
- Autism Testing in Bingham Farms, MI
- Autism Testing in Berkley, MI
- Autism Testing in Clawson, MI
- Autism Testing in Madison Heights, MI
- Autism Testing in Oak Park, MI
- Autism Testing in Franklin, MI
- Autism Testing in Davisburg, MI
- Autism Testing in Pleasant Ridge, MI
- Autism Testing in Farmington Hills, MI
- Autism Testing near Pontiac, MI