Therapy is extremely useful for helping people recognize and acquire the tools to sort through their problems. This can prevent an issue from snowballing. It can also give an individual a sense of power and control over life events.
To find a great therapist in Flint, ask for referrals from a few trusted sources or even your primary health practitioner. Here are some of the issues discussed in therapy.
Granted, everyone gets anxious from time to time. However, when it becomes a recurring, engulfing occurrence, it’s time to see a counselor. Counselors can help you with skills such as breathing techniques, mediation and assertive communication.
Divorce can be freeing or extremely painful. When there are children involved, there are many things to think of. Despite a person’s reasons to dissolve a marriage, they might still feel anxious, overwhelmed, ashamed that they somehow failed, guilty that they broke up their family and so on.
Talking to a psychologist can help you work through these emotions, as well as build bridges to allow the ex-partners to successfully co-parent. Child therapists can help children with the transition as well.
Eating disorders result from having a convoluted relationship with your body and food. In this day of social media, body shaming and glorification of a thin body motivate young impressionable people to chase after the illusion often ending up with disastrous results.
On the extreme end, it leads to conditions such as bulimia nervosa, anorexia nervosa, pica, rumination, and restrictive food intake behavior.
Conversely, eating disorders can take a toll on one’s physical health as well. The need for immediate medical attention is evaluated on a case by case basis. And a psychologist is able to formulate a treatment plan or combine several treatment therapies.
Sleep or Insomnia
Sleep disorders are characterized by changes in sleep patterns. These are a result of external factors and can lead to physical, mental and emotional health issues. The common symptoms of sleep disorders are sleeping at the wrong time, poor quality sleep, or insufficient sleep.
Some mental health conditions linked to sleep disorders include depression, bipolar disorder, stress, anxiety, OCD, and PTSD. Psychologists can help patients work on the external causes of their sleep disorders, allowing them to begin working on those issues.
Types of Therapy
Cognitive Behavioral Therapy
Cognitive impairment is when one has trouble remembering, concentrating and learning new things and making decisions. More than 16 million Americans are living with this condition, and the numbers are expected to rise as the number of people surpassing the age of 65 rises.
Dialectical Behavioral Therapy
Originally, DBT was developed to treat people diagnosed with borderline personality disorder (BPD) who have chronic suicidal thoughts. DBT empowers patients with skills to manage painful emotions and distress. In recent times, DBT has also proved successful in treating eating disorders, depression, PTSD, bipolar disorder as well as substance abuse.
Group therapy creates an environment where people can learn and share their experiences with others going through similar life experiences. Here, you have a therapist working with several people simultaneously. While group therapy is at times used on its own, it also combines with medication and individual therapy sessions.
Family therapy addresses pain points within families from old wound and resentments, to feelings of unfairness and inequality. These issues might be from blood relatives, foster parents or adoptive parents.
This is mostly for children aged 3-12. Play therapy provides a fun, playful and uninhibited environment where a child can let loose and freely express themselves. The therapist then observes the child’s playstyle and decision-making behaviors.
The goal is to help children with social and emotional shortfalls learn to communicate better, solve problems in a much healthier way and relate to others better.
Kids that can benefit from this are those going through a major upheaval in their lives, or kids that have suffered abuse, trauma and so on.
Where to Find a Therapist in Flint, MI
Today, people see therapists, not because of any mental health issue they might be facing, but just to touch base and keep their lives balanced. If you or a loved one needs to talk to a therapist, Bright Pine Behavioral Health remains a top facility covering most treatments. We are honored that many professionals in the area consider us as a top referral facility. Our team of experts under Dr. Kat Lewitzke offer their expertise in various treatments expertly, attentively and compassionately.
- Therapy and Counseling Services in Ferndale, MI
- Therapy and Counseling in Clarkston, MI
- Therapists in Auburn Hills, MI
- Counseling and Therapy in Berkley, MI
- Therapy and Counseling Services in Beverly Hills, MI
- Therapy and Counseling Services in Birmingham, MI
- Therapy and Counseling Services In Bloomfield Hills, Michigan
- Therapists in Clawson, MI
- Therapists in Davisburg, MI
- Counseling and Therapy in Farmington Hills, MI
- Counseling and Therapy Services in Franklin, MI
- Counseling and Therapy Services in Genesee County, MI
- Therapists in Holly, MI
- Counseling and Therapy in Huntington Woods, MI
- Therapists in Keego Harbor, MI
- Therapy and Counseling in Macomb County, MI
- Therapists in Madison Heights, MI
- Counseling and Therapy in Novi, MI
- Therapists in Oak Park, MI
- Therapy and Counseling Services in Oakland County, MI
- Therapists in Ortonville, MI
- Counseling and Therapy Services in Oxford, MI
- Counseling and Therapy Services in Pleasant Ridge, MI
- Therapists in Pontiac, MI
- Counseling and Therapy in Royal Oak, MI
- Therapists in Southfield, MI
- Therapy and Counseling Services in Troy, MI
- Counseling and Therapy in Waterford, MI
- Therapists in Wayne County, MI
- Therapy and Counseling Services in West Bloomfield, MI
- Counseling and Therapy Services in Wixom, MI
- Counseling and Therapy in Grand Blanc, MI
- Counseling and Therapy in Sterling Heights, MI
- Counseling and Therapy Services in White Lake, MI
- Therapists in Swartz Creek, MI
- Therapists in Linden, MI
- Therapists in Clio, MI
- Therapists in Utica, MI
- Therapists in Warren, MI
- Therapists in St. Clair Shores, MI
- Therapists in Shelby Township, MI
- Therapy and Counseling Services in Milford, MI
- Therapy and Counseling Services in Plymouth, MI
- Counseling and Therapy in Commerce, MI
- Counseling and Therapy in Rochester Hills, MI